In the words of our Golden Apple Award-winning Middle School Math teacher, Ellen Petersen, “Math is Life” and a subject we take very seriously at SPS. In addition to classroom learning, SPS provides additional resources for the mastery of Math and the thorough preparation of our students for high-school level courses.
Highlights of the Curriculum include:
- Mastery of the Five Strands of Mathematical proficiency
- Conceptual Understanding
- Skill in carrying out mathematical procedures
- Strategic Competence to formulate, represent, and solve mathematical problems
- Adaptive Reasoning
- Productive Disposition: The habitual inclination to see mathematics as sensible, useful, and worthwhile
- Extended Math period
- In-classroom curriculum differentiation to meet each student’s individual abilities.
- Additional time for the study of Math during all Library classes, Grades K-8
- Teacher-led early-morning Math help sessions in Middle School
- Opportunity for qualifying 8th graders to attend 9th Grade Honors Algebra I at Bishop Canevin High School.
- Classroom+ opportunities such as Thinking Caps, K’nex Challenge, Quiz Bowls and Chess Club