SPS employs a dedicated Spanish instructor teaching Spanish as a core subject to Grades 6-8 and on a rotating schedule to Grades K-5. Many SPS graduates can test into higher level Spanish courses in high school (up to Spanish III) or excel in other languages because of the advanced curriculum covered in their SPS Spanish classes.
Students in the Spanish program:
- Benefit from a Total Language teaching approach, which incorporates listening, speaking, reading, and writing
- Participate in songs, games and activities that promote quicker learning.
- Learn present/past/future and imperfect verb tenses and conjugations
- Write, perform and record their own skits in Spanish
- Complete a comprehensive class presentation on a Spanish-speaking country (Middle School)
- Create an original Spanish picture dictionary (Middle School)
- Learn survival vocabulary
- Achieve basic conversational ability upon graduation
In addition, SPS students participate annually in:
- Our Lady of Guadalupe Mass at St. Paul's Cathedral
- The SPS Spanish Christmas program for Grades K-8 presented in conjunction with the SPS Music Department
- The Middle School Cinco de Mayo celebration featuring foods, dancing and music from Spanish-speaking countries.