The SPS Physical Education Curriculum is wholly provided by the YMCA and is adapted from their “Fit-For-Life” Program for Grades K-8. The program is intended to ultimately foster healthy, physically active lifestyles in students.
- Formal weekly gym class for all grades, K-8
- Presidential Physical Fitness Award Assessments & Testing for Grades 4-8.
- Classroom+ opportunity for gym recess
- Developmentally appropriate activities and progressive skill building intended to encourage a lifetime commitment to physical fitness
- Christian approach emphasized in regards to teamwork, appreciation of individual diversity, respect for others, and attitude development toward winning and losing.
- Annual all-day “Crazy Olympics,” in which teams comprised of students from all grade levels compete in a variety of creative relay races
- Individualized goal setting geared toward improving self-esteem
- Gym class focus on
- Locomotor & Non-Locomotor Movements
- Exercises – Stretching
- Games of Low Organization (Primary grades)
- Games of Low / High Organization (Intermediate and Middle School grades)
- Rhythmic Movements & Rhythmic Dance
- Warm up/Cool down exercises
- Vigorous Exercises – Stretching (introduced in Middle School)
- Aerobics (introduced in Middle School)
- Resistance Training (introduced in Middle School)